Finding the best contractors for your home improvement or remodeling project can be time consuming and frustrating, but it doesn’t have to be. Hardy Windows has some tips on how you can find the best contractors in your area.
1. Find a contractor that is licensed and insured. We recommend using a contractor who is properly licensed, bonded and insured. While it might be cheaper to go another route, it’s better to be safe than sorry when dealing with strangers at your home. Even though a contractor may have references from satisfied customers, they could also have a criminal history that would make them an unsafe person for you to do business with.
2. Ask for personal referrals – check out reviews online AND ask friends and family if they have any recommendations. The best references come from people you know and trust. Here are a few questions to ask your contractor’s former customers: How do you like working with this contractor? Do they return calls and emails promptly? What was their estimated price versus what you wound up paying at the end of the project, and why did it change? Did they arrive on time for appointments every day throughout the project, including weekends? Were there any unexpected surprises during construction (like additional costs)? It’s also a good idea to check online reviews before hiring someone. Look at review sites such as AngiesList or Yelp.
3. Make sure you hire someone who will be available when you need them (i.e., not on vacation). Scheduling can be a huge problem when hiring a contractor. Many homeowners have been burned because the contractor they chose went on vacation without telling them beforehand or stopped returning calls altogether after work began. Make sure to get the contact information of the key people you will be dealing with throughout the project and check often to make sure they are available to answer your questions.
4. Hire a contractor with good customer service skills. Use a contractor who communicates well and takes pride in their work, even if it’s a small job. Ask yourself: Does this person answer your questions promptly? Do they provide clear explanations about what needs to get done?
5. Get quotes from at least three contractors to see how their prices compare Hardy. Make sure you get a detailed estimate for exactly what the contractor will provide, including parts and labor costs. Get more than one quote so that you can compare prices and find out if there are other hidden fees or expenses associated with the project, such as “trip charges,” which happen when a company forces you to buy all materials from them.
Check the contractor’s portfolio of completed projects, including photos and testimonials from customers. Check out the contractor’s work online. Look for a website or social media presence, or you can always ask to see a portfolio of commercial and residential projects they have worked on in the past which will give you a better idea of what your final product will look like.
We hope these tips will help you find the best professional for your project. Hardy is also here to answer any of your questions and help you learn more about home windows and doors before starting a new project. Give us a call today at (714) 996-1807.